Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
Adding some more smart features to my home is something that I have been experimenting with and researching for quite a while. I mean who wouldn’t want to make their home more convenient?
From video doorbells to lights that connect with apps and Amazon Alexa there is a ton of smart home technology on the market right now. However, with all these options comes one problem… which company do you purchase your smart home items from?
If you’re anything like me you’ll spend hours reading reviews, having what feels like 100 different tabs open to compare and perform extensive Google research to see if you can find a YouTube video or a detailed blog review. You may even stop your research, sleep on it a bit, and then come back to it a few days later (cough, cough, I’m doing that now actually as I’m in the market for a new television in my bedroom and I can’t decide which one to go with…and I’ve been looking for a couple of weeks now).
Anyways, a couple of weeks ago we installed a video doorbell and today I wanted to tell you all about the experience (pros and cons) so you can decide if the 1ByOne Video Door Phone is something that you want to purchase.
1ByOne is a brand that I have experience with. Back when I was doing a lot of reviews (the early stages of this blog) I received a handful of products from them and the experiences were mostly positive.
A video doorbell was something that I had wanted to install for a while, but with so many options such as Skybell and Ring I just couldn’t decide which one would be right for me and it kind of just dropped off my radar until a rep from 1ByOne reached out and I thought why not.
Installing the 1ByOne Video Door Phone
Since this was my first time having a doorbell installed I didn’t know what to expect. It’s marketed as being easy to install.
The installation process ended up taking an hour and it doesn’t connect to your existing doorbell. Instead, you must create a second circuit specifically for the video door phone.
Obviously, this was more than I was personally cut out to do but installing things isn’t really one of my skills…especially when it involves drilling lol.
Pros of the 1ByOne Video Door Phone
If this is your first video doorbell I believe that this doorbell will get the job done. Alternatively, if you’re renting the price point of $139 isn’t too bad either. When I was doing a search before the most highly recommended ones were $250 and up.
Here’s a list of some of the pros I think you should be aware of:
- Clear picture: I have used this doorbell at daylight and nighttime hours and the picture is always clear.
- Great audio: From the doorbell chime to using the inside screen to communicate the sound quality is amazing.
- Easy to use: Once it’s installed using it is a breeze.
Cons of the 1ByOne Video Door Bell
This doorbell isn’t for everyone. Homeowners would more than likely prefer a better-quality product and extra features to make using it convenient.
Here are some of the cons that I found:
- No App: The inside screen must be installed next to the door, therefore, if you wanted a smart home device this wouldn’t fit the script since you have to physically go to the door every time it rings. Many of their competitors offer apps that allow you to communicate through the doorbell and, with some, unlock the door. (NOTE: They don’t advertise an app or any of these features so it’s not a rip-off, but I know when most people think of video doorbells they think of convenience and tech features).
- Installing it Requires Work: The installation process wasn’t the easiest in my opinion. However, as I mentioned earlier this was my first video doorbell so drilling and an hour installation time could be the norm.
- Short Cord for the Inside Screen: I’m positive that not everyone has an outlet conveniently by their front door. In the case that you don’t you won’t be able to use the inside screen, or you’ll have to have an extension cord running to the nearest outlet. I think the screen would work better if it were wireless. I would much rather prefer having to charge the screen a few times a week or even replace batteries every couple of months than having that wire just out in the open hanging like that.
Who Do I Recommend the 1ByOne Video Door Phone To?
Like as with any other product, the 1ByOne video door phone has its pros and cons, which are expected. With video doorbells being so popular these days, I just wanted to lay everything out for you in case you’re hoping to purchase one for yourself or a relative.
Based on my experience I would recommend this video doorbell to those in the following groups:
- Single Parents – This system would fit a single parent’s budget and needs perfectly. Single moms can have peace of mind when going to the door at night.
- Senior Citizens – It’s sad to say it but so many people commit crimes against senior citizens. Whether it’s taking advantage of them or physically harming them. I would like to believe if they had this device at their homes it could lower the crime rate against senior citizens.
- Renters – I suggest this for renters because it’s less than a $150 investment. Therefore, if you want a video doorbell for security reasons this will do the trick without causing you to make an expensive investment into someone else’s home.
- Those on a Budget – I don’t know about you, but I would prefer to save than spend all my money on frivolous stuff. Don’t get me wrong I’m super into tech and love new things but I love experiences more. Therefore, if you’re saving for anything or are just on a budget this is a reasonably priced system.
How to Purchase the 1ByOne Video Door Phone
From now until September 20th you can get the 1Byone video door phone from Amazon for 25% less than the listing price by using the code: 1byone0906. Click here to purchase. Make sure you also check out 1Byone’s Super User Program for rewards for being a loyal customer. Also, connect with them on Facebook as they have awesome giveaways!
Are you in the market for a video doorbell? What do you think about this one from 1Byone?