Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
There’s no denying that Zaahn mattress is unique since they have creatively managed to turn a queen size mattress into a customizable mattress that can have one side firm and the other side soft. They even have the catchy slogan of “never wake up on the wrong side of the bed again”.
You would think with all the features and the complimentary pillows to match that this would make it the perfect mattress for couples, but is that really the case?
I’ve had the opportunity to try out Zaahn Mattress myself and today I’m going to give you more specifics about the mattress, my personal sleeping experience, and who I feel this mattress is ideal for.
Who is Zaahn?
Zaahn is another one of those mattresses that are vacuumed sealed and arrive in a box at your doorstep. They have mattresses from size Twin to King.
What makes them unique from other box mattress brands is the fact that you can flip their mattresses (soft or firm) on both sides of the mattress.
I tried out the Queen Bundle, which included a Queen Mattress and 2 Zaahn pillows.
Initial Thoughts About Zaahn
When I was first introduced to Zaahn, I thought the concept was cool. I’m sure there are probably other mattresses that you can flip, but I honestly can’t recall ever owning one. I tend to like my mattresses a mix between soft and firm so I was eager to test out both sides. However, I must admit that I was a little skeptical about how the mattress, which is basically 2 twin mattresses for the Queen, would mold together once it was time to go to bed.
The Unboxing Process
The unboxing process for the mattress was similar to other box mattresses. However, Zaahn includes a handy plastic cutter to make getting the mattress unbundled just a little easier.
It did take me probably about five minutes, give or take, to get the mattress set up since I threw my back out when removing my other mattress from my bed. However, I did manage to unbox the mattress without displaying any physical signs of pain, so in my book, the unboxing process is super easy and it is totally something that you can do by yourself.
Zaahn created their mattress brand because they realized that many mattresses only provide a one size fits all product, which is definitely not the case and they wanted to disrupt the mattress industry.
When purchasing a Zaahn mattress you can expect the following features:
- Dual Comfort Technology – You have the option of setting your mattress up on the Zaahn Zen firmer side or the Zaahn AAH softer side.
- Quick Setup – There are literally four steps to do before your mattress is sleep ready. Once the mattress is set up you can sleep on it within 2-5 hours.
- Faster Response Memory Foam – When compared to other memory foam mattresses, you will notice that Zaahn responds quicker and eliminates the “sinking in” feeling.
- Cell Memory Foam – This ensures that you don’t have to worry about the mattress generating additional heat.
- 10 Year Warranty – Since mattresses should be changed around the 10-year mark you have a warranty that will last for the lifetime of your mattress.
- 100 Night Trial – Zaahn allows you to try out their mattress for 100 nights so you have time to decide if their products are a match for you.
- Medium Density Foam – 6 inches of central support and 10 inches of deep comfort is provided.
- Free Shipping and Returns – Your mattress ships to you free and if during your 100-night trial you decide it’s not a good fit for you, you can return it for free as well.
Pros of Zaahn
- Delivered to your door – If you’re one for convenience you just go to Zaahn’s website, make your purchase, wait for it to ship the next day, then move it to your bedroom once it arrives.
- Washable Cover – The cover on the mattress is well made and it is clearly visible that you can wash it if you were to get it stained.
- Unique Design – As you can see from the features I listed above the design is unique and the Zaahn team put a lot of thought into coming up with this concept.
- Fairly Easy to Flip – Flipping the mattress is easy.
- Clear Labels on the Pillows – Regarding the pillows you can easily tell, which side is firm and soft, so it takes the guesswork out of things when it’s time for bed.
Cons of Zaahn
- Not Ideal Without a Box-Spring – On the site, Zaahn mentions that the mattress is suitable for all types of beds, however, it doesn’t specifically say whether a box spring is needed. From my experience, a box spring is needed.
- You Can Initially Feel the Divide in Mattresses – For the first couple of days until I decided to put another mattress under the Zaahn I could feel the divide between the two mattresses. Again, if using a box spring this may not be an issue for you.
My Brutally Honest Review of the Zaahn Mattress
In my opinion, it’s obvious that Zaahn put a lot of thought into this mattress concept. However, I won’t go as far as to say it’s the perfect mattress for couples. Having the divide noticeably apparent in the mattress isn’t the most romantic thing to have in a mattress. However, being able to have two different comfort levels is awesome. Therefore, it’s mostly true that you won’t ever wake up on the wrong side of the bed again.
After trying both sides of the mattress, I found the softer side to be ideal for me. The firm side caused my back and shoulders to be stiff while the softer side still has a bit of firmness to it where it’s not overly soft where you’re sinking through it, but soft enough that it can suit your needs.
Additionally, not knowing that this wouldn’t be a good mattress to use without a box spring, possibly due to the two mattresses combined to make one, it was a little inconvenient to get used to sleeping up high again.
The good news is I absolutely love the pillows and have no complaints from them. In fact, I’ve been bragging so much that I have a friend convinced that he now needs to purchase a set.
With that being said, if you need some pillows definitely consider the ones from Zaahn first!
What You’re Looking to Pay
Now for the ultimate determining factor for you – price. I’ve given you a run down on Zaahn, highlighted its main features, shared my pros and cons of the Queen mattress bundle, and even gave my brutally honest opinion. If you watched my video above, you’ve even seen what it’s like to unbox it.
Since all that’s out the way, I’ll introduce pricing. I decided to get the personal thoughts and features out the way first so you wouldn’t automatically decide if this mattress was you solely based on price.
- Twin – 1 payment of $399 or 4 payments of $99.75
- Full- 1 payment of $699 or 4 payments of $174.75
- Queen – 1 payment of $759 or 4 payments of $189.75
- King – 1 payment of $799 or 4 payments of $199.75
- Zaahn Pillow – $99
Zaahn Compared to Other Ship to Your Door Mattress Companies
I’ve had the pleasure of trying out three other ship to your door mattresses – Yogabed, Eight, and Novosbed. While they each have their advantages, and disadvantages I thought it would be cool to compare them against Zaahn, so you can determine which mattress is the most ideal for you.
Zaahn vs Yogabed
Zaahn is a little heavier and firmer than the Yogabed. It also costs a bit more, which is expected since it provides different features, with Yoga bed being $574. Yogabed also now appears to be offering a 101-night trial, which gives you one more extra night to try it out. However, despite the minor issues I experienced in the beginning, I would say Zaahn would be the better mattress in comparison to the Yogabed Unplugged.
Zaahn vs Eight
Zaahn, on one hand, allows you to never worry about sleeping on the wrong side of the bed again while Eight has a tech add on that can be added to help you learn more about your sleep patterns. Therefore, when comparing these two side by side it depends on your preference.
Either you want an adjustable comfort mattress or you want to be able to incorporate tech into your sleep. As of now, it doesn’t seem possible to have both, unless the Eight Sleep Tracker is compatible with the Zaahn mattress.
Price wise Eight is the higher mattress in this scenario costing $1,049, with its smart technology, but they both have the 100-night trial.
Zaahn vs Novosbed
When compared against Novosbed, unless customizing each side of your bed is something that you must have Novosbed might come out on top for you. They offer a 120-night trial and send you the Comfort+ add on for free if you need to adjust the comfort level.
However, remember that sinking feeling we discussed Zaahn lacks, Novosbed has it on the edges, so if you spend time sitting on the edge of your mattress Zaahn would be the ideal choice for you.
Price wise Zaahn is also cheaper with a Queen Novosbed running you $999.
Who I Recommend Zaahn For
Overall, Zaahn is a pretty good mattress. It has a great idea, but in my opinion, there are a few kinks that could be worked out.
Therefore, this bed could work for couples, if you and your partner sleep on totally opposite sides of the bed from each other. Otherwise, at least if you have a platform bed, you’re looking at someone feeling that tiny awkward divide each night.
Alternatively, you could go with a mattress that is a smaller size than a Queen and then you would only have one mattress, which would alleviate the divide entirely.
What are your thoughts on the innovative mattress that Zaahn has created? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.